Ecommerce businesses are shifting to running their processes with catalog management systems. If you’re interested in figuring out how you can benefit from this eCommerce trend and get some valuable tips on how to choose catalog management software, let's get to it!
What Is a Product Catalog?
Product Catalog is a set of information about a product, like SKU, product description (name, price, color, dimensions, benefits, category, sub-category), and all the possible items’ attributes as well as keywords for better SEO. Moreover, it’s about having quality pictures and videos, in all possible angles, with an ability to rotate, zoom, and see how it would look/feel like for a customer to already have an item.
Why Do You Need to Consider Catalog Management Services?
Let’s say you’re a multichannel online retailer. You have various digital points of sales: from branded sites to such huge monster marketplaces as Amazon, eBay, and some small newcomers like Shopify, etc. The thing is, each of them would demand different formats of product descriptions. Here’s where the challenge pops up. Either you’re a small business or a considerable B2B.
The end buyer - who is your main target - expects a high-quality rich content about a product and a personalized experience. With this in mind, you need to be maximally responsive to the urges of the online shopper, otherwise, he would go with your competitors’ flow. People shop online 24/7.
Which Basic Features Are Covered by the Average Catalog Management Tool?
Let’s put a few main things eCommerce catalog could cope with:
- Creation and editing of product images, information, and multimedia;
- Product data storage (descriptions, prices, delivery time, units of measure, supplier, product filter, etc.);
- Adjusting languages and locations;
- Automatically prices updatings, and other necessary corrections;
- Integration with social channels;
- Competitors’ pricing/stock comparison;
You get an automated online service for the catalog content management, which would save your expenses, time, and eliminate the chances of your potential buyer to be misinformed.
Which Product Catalog Solution to Choose?
Now let’s figure out what would be the best choice of product content management solution in 2020.
1) SAP Ariba Catalog Management is one of the SAPs products worth sticking to, at least knowing the company cares about its reputation and you’d surely be guided through the process of installation, organization, and management.
2) Plytix PIM Software works well for small and medium-sized online retailers. It is a cloud-based digital tool, which helps you create product catalogs and upload all necessary product info. The import mapping feature enables retailers to check on the accuracy of the data before it has been uploaded. Also, it is quite cheap.
3) Prisync promises to outsmart your competition with analysis of their pricing, stock data, and brand category indices. In addition, it has an inbuilt pricing module to automatically adjust to your competitors and improve margins.
Product Catalogues Common Challenges You May Face
If catalog management process flow still seems like a piece of cake for you, let’s have a look at a few challenges you might face.
- Being consistent across various sales channels.
- Launching products on time.
- Adjusting product catalogs to different marketplaces.
- Miscategorization and product discovery issue.
How To Deliver Product Data From Catalogs to Various Sales Channels with Gepard
Poor quality data can cost you your reputation. To make catalogs consistent, standardize tags, and stay on track you should think of implementing automated service catalog management. And here you might come across the Gepard Syndication Platform, which connects you to one or more catalog providers, extracts the data you need (photos, specifications, parameters), restructures, and adapts it to your website and different online stores and marketplaces.
If you’re interested in knowing more about why companies like Amazon, GS1, HP, Dell, Rakuten, Elkjop, Lazada have chosen to work with Gepard, feel free to fill out the contact form here.