How To Write Product Descriptions For eCommerce
87% of shoppers do research online before making a final purchase decision. So figures indeed support the fact that consumers read product descriptions and reviews. How to make a customer click that ever so desired “Add to cart” button with the help of product descriptions? How to make them appear automatically on a marketplace itself? Read our article and optimize your eCommerce performance.
Tips For Writing Product Descriptions
The product description is a marketing text, that provides all the necessary info on a product. However, what makes some descriptions eye-catching while others keep boring? An ability to relate to the experience of owning a product and feel that you’ve heard. Having a good product description demands not all that much investment, luckily.
BEFORE writing a powerful product description cover these points:
- Define your Buyer Persona.
- Think of a sort of emotion you want to evoke.
- Determine how long the product descriptions should be.
WHILE writing product descriptions remember these tips:
1. Leave no place for uncertain reactions and doubts.
2. Forget that you’re selling for a while. Befriend a customer. Use a warm tone of voice that is worth trusting.
3. Motivate to buy. After all, we are all here to sell. Describe benefits, keeping in mind it is there to persuade.
4. Make a consumer the main character, and the product — a supporting one.
5. When writing a good product description, simultaneously take a side of a reader aka. buyer.
6. Make it easy to read (less effort from a buyer’s side — more chances they’ll keep reading).
7. “Imagine…” how your life will improve. Make a customer visualize and dream of the experience of having/using a product.
8. Neurology tip: use sensory words (check in a paragraph “Selling words for product descriptions”).
9. Don’t just concentrate on meaning: use words to evoke emotions, and associations.
10. Use adjectives that both describe a product and a buyer (ex, “sporty”, and “slim” could describe sports watches as well as their prospective owner).
11. Provide proof from influencers in a niche.
12. Pay attention to product description design.
13. Use video descriptions (product reviews, overviews, and unboxing on youtube videos).
14. Make it fun. Humor is a delightful way to break the ice. Of course, when appropriate.
15. After all, don’t forget to stick to your own style.
Product Descriptions Template by Gepard
How should the anatomy of a product description look like? Here’s our view. Save and put it in usage. Note that it should not be followed in this order. Twist it to fit in your style guides.
1. Product Title.
2. Brand’s Name.
3. Functions. What does the product do?
4. Physical properties and Technical specs (length, weight, color, material, etc.)
5. Solution. How would it solve the customer’s issue?
6. Life improvement. What would it help to achieve?
7. Competitive advantage. How are you distinct in a niche?
8. Product update. How has the product been enhanced since its last version?
9. When, why, and how the customer can use the product?
10. Offer benefits.
11. Making a customer feel good. Does the company give off some % to charity org-s?
12. Call to action.
Where to Get Product Descriptions
1. Write product descriptions in-house.
2. Use product description copywriting services.
3. Get product descriptions from a CSP (Catalog/Content Service Provider). You can go deeper into a topic in the article What is a CSP? Defining a Content Service Provider.
Automate Product Descriptions Delivery With Gepard
If your eCommerce strategy is omnichannel you might have spent tons of time writing text descriptions, taking pictures, and making videos. The team has to adapt all this content to the retailers’ requirements, and, finally, send it on to them.
But, how can you create high-quality content, if most of your time goes on modifying content to the retailers’ templates? That’s why automated product content push becomes a solution to reduce manual work with product information by 75%
View Other Articles
High return rates have plagued the eCommerce sector. How can help product rich content management to deal with this challenge?Read more
When you're working on a mobile application, it's crucial to consider the future integration of PIM solutions.Read more
Curious about the technologies shaping the future of mobile commerce? Interested in upcoming trends in m commerce? Read the article.Read more
In this article, we will explore 15 insightful facts about eCommerce that will leave you astonished and eager to learn more.Read more
Here are some 2023 industry trends on how you can optimize your product feed for increased revenue and sales.Read more
Let’s discover the top 10 eCommerce website search trends from experts that would be actual in the nearest 5 years.Read more
These insights will assist you with actionable strategies to enhance your product data and maximize impact on your customers and bottom line.Read more
We will delve into its key features & advantages, and discuss how Gepard PIM software, integrates with EDI for optimized eCommerce workflows.Read more
How to build a perfectly fitting eCommerce technology stack for retail or manufacturing purposes? Here is a cheat sheet with relevant tools and pro tips.Read more
In order to grow, it is important for a business to have a single platform for all market participants. Learn how to build an eCommerce ecosystem for a sharp competitive edge.Read more