How To Write Product Descriptions For eCommerce
87% of shoppers do research online before making a final purchase decision. So figures indeed support the fact that consumers read product descriptions and reviews. How to make a customer click that ever so desired “Add to cart” button with the help of product descriptions? How to make them appear automatically on a marketplace itself? Read our article and optimize your eCommerce performance.
Tips For Writing Product Descriptions
The product description is a marketing text, that provides all the necessary info on a product. However, what makes some descriptions eye-catching while others keep boring? An ability to relate to the experience of owning a product and feel that you’ve heard. Having a good product description demands not all that much investment, luckily.
BEFORE writing a powerful product description cover these points:
- Define your Buyer Persona.
- Think of a sort of emotion you want to evoke.
- Determine how long the product descriptions should be.
WHILE writing product descriptions remember these tips:
1. Leave no place for uncertain reactions and doubts.
2. Forget that you’re selling for a while. Befriend a customer. Use a warm tone of voice that is worth trusting.
3. Motivate to buy. After all, we are all here to sell. Describe benefits, keeping in mind it is there to persuade.
4. Make a consumer the main character, and the product — a supporting one.
5. When writing a good product description, simultaneously take a side of a reader aka. buyer.
6. Make it easy to read (less effort from a buyer’s side — more chances they’ll keep reading).
7. “Imagine…” how your life will improve. Make a customer visualize and dream of the experience of having/using a product.
8. Neurology tip: use sensory words (check in a paragraph “Selling words for product descriptions”).
9. Don’t just concentrate on meaning: use words to evoke emotions, and associations.
10. Use adjectives that both describe a product and a buyer (ex, “sporty”, and “slim” could describe sports watches as well as their prospective owner).
11. Provide proof from influencers in a niche.
12. Pay attention to product description design.
13. Use video descriptions (product reviews, overviews, and unboxing on youtube videos).
14. Make it fun. Humor is a delightful way to break the ice. Of course, when appropriate.
15. After all, don’t forget to stick to your own style.
Product Descriptions Template by Gepard
How should the anatomy of a product description look like? Here’s our view. Save and put it in usage. Note that it should not be followed in this order. Twist it to fit in your style guides.
1. Product Title.
2. Brand’s Name.
3. Functions. What does the product do?
4. Physical properties and Technical specs (length, weight, color, material, etc.)
5. Solution. How would it solve the customer’s issue?
6. Life improvement. What would it help to achieve?
7. Competitive advantage. How are you distinct in a niche?
8. Product update. How has the product been enhanced since its last version?
9. When, why, and how the customer can use the product?
10. Offer benefits.
11. Making a customer feel good. Does the company give off some % to charity org-s?
12. Call to action.
Where to Get Product Descriptions
1. Write product descriptions in-house.
2. Use product description copywriting services.
3. Get product descriptions from a CSP (Catalog/Content Service Provider). You can go deeper into a topic in the article What is a CSP? Defining a Content Service Provider.
Use product description writing software (ex, Ginnie, Adzis). Keep in mind that all automatically generated descriptions should be revised by a human.
Automate Product Descriptions Delivery With Gepard
If your eCommerce strategy is omnichannel you might have spent tons of time writing text descriptions, taking pictures, and making videos. The team has to adapt all this content to the retailers’ requirements, and, finally, send it on to them.
But, how can you create high-quality content, if most of your time goes on modifying content to the retailers’ templates? That’s why automated product content push becomes a solution to reduce manual work with product information by 75%
If you’re interested in knowing more about why companies like Amazon, GS1, HP, Dell, Rakuten, Elkjop, and Lazada have chosen to work with Gepard, feel free to fill out the contact form here.
View Other Articles
eCommerce Technology Stack: Retail VS Manufacturer Tech Instruments
How to build a perfectly fitting eCommerce technology stack for retail or manufacturing purposes? Here is a cheat sheet with relevant tools and pro tips.Read more
How To Build A Successful eCommerce Ecosystem & Partnerships
In order to grow, it is important for a business to have a single platform for all market participants. Learn how to build an eCommerce ecosystem for a sharp competitive edge.Read more
B2B eCommerce SME Growth: Connecting To Marketplaces
Learn how small and medium B2B eCommerce enterprises can drive growth and reach out to a larger customer audience by harnessing international B2B marketplaces.Read more
TOP 5 Back To School Sales Hacks To Increase Sales
Getting ready for the back to school sales can be difficult, but Gepard PIM's software can really take the stress out of routine work with product content.Read more
7 Product Fulfillment Hacks That eCommerce Owners Should Apply In 2022
Explore the best product fulfillment tips for eCommerce store owners to meet customer expectations and grow your business.Read more
Employ Multiple Product Taxonomies: The Key To eCommerce Success
Find out how employing multiple taxonomies can boost your team's productivity, help you stay ahead of the competition, and so much more.Read more
7 Best Examples Of eCommerce Product Video Marketing
Read about the importance and benefits of product video marketing for online sales, and learn the best practices from famous brands.Read more
How To Reduce Customer Churn And Improve Customer Retention Rate
How do you prevent customer churn and retain more consumers? Learn more about the churn metric and ways of keeping more people in your client base.Read more
The Best eCommerce Strategies In Times Of Uncertainty
Learn how your online company can survive in the precarious times of uncertainty by revamping its eCommerce strategies and leveraging specialized software.Read more
How To Build A Strong eCommerce Brand
Read how to build a strong eCommerce brand and explore the components of a successful online sales business.Read more