What Is GDSN Data Pool And How Does It Work
Businesses from various industries use different ways to manage their data. To achieve a common ground, companies implement a standardized data format to efficiently share and synchronize the information through numerous sales channels. In this article, we want to share information about the GDSN data pool and how you can benefit from using it.
GDSN Meaning and Functions
GDSN is the Global Data Synchronisation Network within GS1 and the world’s largest product data network. Since 1974, GS1 has developed and maintained a global system of standards for business communication in retail, transport, and logistics. The best known of these is the GS1 barcode standard, printed on whatever you purchase online and offline. Amazon, Alibaba Group, eBay, Google, Nestlé, and many other companies work with GS1.
Using GDSN as a single source of truth, brands import their product information inside, and retailers — find and download it for their needs. GDSN enables sharing high-quality product information: to any sales partner, in any market. So this is a way to exchange seamless product information in time without spending days on editing product information templates for each channel’s needs.
A scheme of how GDSN works:
- Manufacturer/Brand provides and registers product data to one of the data pools it works with.
- This data pool publishes the given information to the GS1 Global Registry.
- Sales partners (retailers/distributors) subscribe to this information at the GS1 Global Registry.
- The information is being sent to the data pool of the sales partner.
The GDSN components:
- Data Source (manufacturer, distributor, or service vendor). Function: stores and delivers the trade data to be registered into the GDSN.
- Source Data Pool. Function: processes the trade data from a data source, validates it to the GDSN Validation Rules, and registers it as a Catalog Item in the GS1 Global Registry.
- GS1 Global Registry. Function: matches features and speeds up the registration and delivery of all information over the whole GS1 data hub.
- Recipient Data Pool. Function: collects subscriptions from a Data Recipient in order to file them in the GS1 Global Registry. Plus, this data pool gets new or updated catalog information from a Source Data Pool and delivers it as a Trade Item to the Data Recipient.
- Data Recipient. Any business/company that subscribes to receive Trade Item information.
What Advantages Does GDSN offer to Brands & Retailers?
For you as a brand or a manufacturer, GDSN provides a solution to easily comply with the necessary data standards. You also benefit from centralized data governance. Having a single source of truth allows you to keep all the records in one place and give access to all your partners. This, in turn, saves you time but also eliminates the possibility of data errors and incomplete product templates.
Using GDSN brands & manufacturers obtain such benefits:
- Reduced product time-to-shelf.
- More efficient order and item administration.
- Fewer item data issues in sales processes.
- Automated product data updates on all sales channels.
Nordine Eddaoudi, a contributor at GS1 France, shared with us why working with the GDSN data network is totally beneficial for retailers as well. Generally, it is much easier to receive all data and updates from the GDSN instead of managing multiple P2P connections for each supplier.
A few reasons why retailers work with GDSN by GS1:
- More efficient synchronization with trading partners’ databases.
- Easy compliance with data standards for all sales partners.
- Better visibility and trackability of information.
- Reduced coupon rejection at check-out.
- Reduction in data management efforts.
The challenges of working with GDSN and how to deal with them
We asked GS1 US and GS1 France to share their expertise regarding what kind of challenges have they noticed so far. Here are the main issues you may face:
- Confusing how GDSN integrates with data pools.
- Struggling with GS1 Global Registry Platform.
- Adapting 1000+ product items to the GS1 standards manually.
- Delivering proper product data across the sales partners.
Push Your Product Data to GDSN by GS1 With Gepard
Before sending information to the GDSN, it is important to improve the product data internally. Automating the product data content and delivery, undoubtedly speeds up the sales, thereby ensuring high-quality data. With the Gepard Product Content Delivery solution brands can set a GS1 connection easier and efficiently getting the data delivered across any number of sales partners compliant with GS1 requirements.
At Gepard, we have the experience of building a PIM system for the GS1 fashion vertical. After the implementation, GS1 Fashion Base enabled the suppliers to import their product data to GS1, enhance these data independently, and automatically export content to resellers that have integration with the Icecat content provider.
However, each retailer has its own product content requirements, and just subscribing to one of the GS1 data pools is not enough. If you face difficulties with maintaining and delivering your product information, contact us to get your free consultation.
View Other Articles
Implementing PIM Application For Niche Industries: Challenges And Best Practices
Read how niche eCommerce businesses can benefit from the PIM app and explore the cases of market-specific industries that implemented PIM.Read more
Machine Learning In PIM Software: Benefits For eCommerce
Explore the benefits of ML-powered PIM software for eCommerce and learn from the most successful machine learning practices.Read more
PIM Solution Privacy & Security Challenges
Explore the most popular PIM product data security & privacy challenges and learn how to fix them with our detailed list of data safety tips.Read more
Understanding The Impact Of PIM On Supply Chain Efficiency And Cost Savings
How can PIM software solutions streamline the supply chain management? Find out the main challenges and read about PIM best practices.Read more
TOP 10 Product Catalogue Management Best Practices
Find out what is product catalog management, its challenges, and best practices, and read how you can benefit from its automation.Read more
How To Make The Most Of PIM Implementation
Learn about the guidelines for PIM implementation and software features that will help you address challenges the process can face.Read more
Everything You Need To Know About EPREL E-Seal
Full guideline about all the necessary elements you should know about EPREL e-seal for an eCommerce business.Read more
How PIM Tool Simplifies Product Information Manager Flows
Learn how the PIM tool can automate prosuct data-related tasks and simplify product information manager flows.Read more
TOP Questions To Ask Before PIM Solution Demo: A Guide For Brands And Retailers
Struggling with the questions before going on the PIM tool demo? We prepared a full guide for brands, retailers, and big marketplaces to better explore a PIM solution.Read more
Product Content That Matters: Solving Retailer And Brand Dilemma
Learn how to manage product content expectations of brands and retailers to improve the shopping experience and boost sales.Read more