How to make a customer click that desired “Add to cart” button with the help of a product description? How to write a product description at all? How to make them appear automatically on a marketplace itself?
87% of shoppers do research online before making a final purchase decision. So figures indeed support the thought that consumers read product descriptions and reviews. The same as it’s important to clear the HOWs and WHYs, it is crucial to analyze a practical example of product description.
We have prepared key tips and a template for product description to help brands & retailers notice the points to be enhanced or corrected. We also gonna go through an outstanding product description sample.
How to write product description
Product description is a marketing text, providing all the necessary info on a product. This is just a basic definition. Let’s break it into the points and figure out how to create product description (and what are really good product descriptions).
Product description writing is connected to an emotion. What arises emotion? An ability to relate. Relate to the experience of owning a product and feel that you’re heard. Having a good product description demands not much investment, luckily.
Tips for writing product descriptions
BEFORE writing a product description:
- Define your Buyer Persona
How to write product descriptions that sell? Focus on your customer’s profile to keep it in mind while writing every single word.
What defines your target persona? The main identifications are demographics, age, gender, budget, lifestyle and sales channels where you want to place your product.
To what kind of sales channels you want to push products? As you may know — each marketplace has its own formats and requirements. If you want to sell on various sales channels — product content syndication platform would distribute your descriptions automatically.
- Think of a kind of emotion you want to evoke
Is it passion, desire, happiness, memories from childhood, feeling of relaxation? Figure this out as precise as possible.
- Determine how long should product descriptions be
Do not focus on sticking to specific length. Just bear in mind it’s better to use shorter words and phrases. Don’t waste buyers’ time — write closer to the point.
Think of a few preconditions to determine the length:
What’s the product uniqueness? If the product is quite complex and/or unknown to the buyer, it makes sense to compose a long description. If it’s an everyday thing (like a t-shirt or pajamas, or whatever) — make an accent on pictures; and write, for example, how the person would feel wearing it.
What is the level of brand/product recognition? If the brand/product is not new to the market — there’s no need to write in-depth product descriptions on a shopping page itself. One of the best product descriptions examples here could be Apple and Nike. The first one became a separate recognizable entity itself and so basically, the company focuses on mentioning just main tech details.
Sportswear brand also speaks for itself. See Nike shoes product description above. We got all the basic features and necessary info put in just one sentence.
WHILE writing product descriptions consider these tips:
- Leave no place for uncertain reaction and doubt.
- Forget that you’re selling for a while. Befriend a customer. Use a warm tone of voice that is worth trust.
- Motivate to buy. After all, we are all here to sell. Describe benefits, keeping in mind it is there to persuade.
- Make a consumer the main character, and the product — a supporting one.
- When writing a good product description, simultaneously take a side of a reader aka. buyer.
- Make it easy to read (less effort from a buyer’s side — more chances they’ll keep reading).
- “Imagine…” how your life will improve. Make a customer visualize and dream of experience of having/using a product.
- Neurology tip: use sensory words (check in a paragraph “Selling words for product descriptions”).
- Do not always concentrate on meaning: use words to evoke emotions, associations.
- Use adjectives that both describe a product and a buyer (ex, “sporty”, “slim” could describe sports watches as well as its prospective owner).
- Provide proof from influencers in a niche.
- Pay attention to product description design.
- Use video descriptions (product reviews, overviews and unboxing on youtube videos).
- Make it fun. Humour is a nice way to break the ice of separateness. Of course, when it is appropriate.
- If your product is complicated - draw tables, graphs.
- After all, don’t forget to stick to your own style.
Product description sample:
Description that makes you forget you spent XXX$ for a pair of shoes. They are authentic, they are bold and not afraid to put some extra exclamation marks.
And have you felt the vibe? The description of a situation, how the person would feel already having an item. Already dreaming of owning one, heh? If you noticed, along with the description section there’re Reviews, Shipping & Returns, Sizing — everything for easy navigation.
Feel the encouragement in “You can do it!..”, closeness with the word “Friend”, and the character of a main hero with “Adventure...” and “bad boy...”. The product description emphasizes you do no harm to the living beings by mentioning it is “vegan”. Brand points out which features were “Improved” since the last version as well.
But, please, note that the tone and approach you use while selling fashion industry products, would probably differ from the approach for IT goods, medical equipment, etc. That’s why our very first tip was to define your target audience, and then decide on your content marketing strategy.
Product descriptions template
How the anatomy of a product description should look like? Here’s our view. Save and put it in usage. Note that it should not be followed in this order. Twist it to fit in your style guides.
- Product Title.
- Brand’s Name.
- Functions. What the product does?
- Physical attributes and Technical specs (length, weight, colour, material etc.)
- Solution. How it would solve the customer's issue?
- Life improvement.What it would help to achieve?
- CA (competitive advantage). What you distinctive in a niche?
- Product update. How the product was enhanced since its last version?
- When, why and how the customer can use the product?
- Offer benefits.
- Making a customer feeling good. Does the company give off some % to charity org-s?
- Call to action.
Where to get product descriptions
- Write product descriptions in-house.
- Use product description copywriting services.
- Get product descriptions from a CSP (Catalog/Content Service Provider). You can go deeper into a topic in the article What is CSP? Defining a Content Service Provider.
- Use product description writing software (ex, Ginnie, Demanzo, Adzis). But keep in mind that all automatically generated descriptions should be revised by a human.
It might make sense to integrate with a CSP (they have both free and paid services) and then customize product descriptions to your business needs. This would save your time and effort.
P.S. In case your attention is divided between a few sales channels, consider automated product content push.
Product description SEO
Well, as you might have guessed, none would buy a product if it can’t be found. So let’s see what we can do to optimize product descriptions SEO. Important: add keywords to these fundamental areas.
< Page titles >
< Meta descriptions >
< ALT tags >
< A page’s body content > (product descriptions)
Try to use the same keywords in meta descriptions as in product descriptions. But if you think you have some creative and fun idea — write it the way you think it will do. Do not copy — all-seeing Google would not reward you in terms of SEO. Create unique product descriptions.
SEO on Amazon
There are a few ranking factors Amazon sellers should learn before writing product descriptions.
Product description in Amazon is a marketing text which goes right after bullet points. It is followed by the more explicit product information section, and additional information. This part includes product information like product features, dimensions, technical details, shipping info, ASIN number and more. In this section try to communicate as many product details as possible. Here's our guide on crafting SEO friendly Amazon product descriptions and product pages from A to Z.
Keep testing :)