If you are a manufacturer, product manager, or retailer and manage a big number of products, you should have probably used PIM systems. Or, at least, considered implementing one. Below we will take a look at the subject, review its basic functions, mechanisms, discuss the benefits and common issues on PIM tools, and how your PIM can be integrated into product content delivery software.
What is PIM?
PIM stands for Product Information Management. What does it mean? There are specific market requirements for retailers to be able to sell products on various distribution channels. For instance, e-commerce platforms that cover several geographic locations have to manage PIM data in multiple languages and formats via a centralized catalog. To collect, refine, edit, and save product information automatically there are special PIM software solutions. And this is what online sales businesses rely on in the product description area.
What kind of information PIM system stores?
Generally, PIM solutions store all the required information on the product, including description, configuration, taxation, composition, technical information, hardware version, and other types of accompanying information. In addition, it can also store rich media files (such as images, videos, or documents on the product).
Who uses PIM systems? What areas have a better fit for it?
When to use and when not to use PIM?
To use or not to use, that is the question. As we already know, a dedicated PIM system can greatly facilitate the company’s product listing process and other aspects of a business. However, it is not always a must to use a PIM solution as there are cases where you can handle product information without it.
When to use PIM
- there’s a need for data-rich information
- you need SEO adaptation for your descriptions
- you have multiple suppliers and sources of distribution
- you need to update the price and product catalog often
When PIM is unnecessary
- if you only use one platform or one distribution channel
- if your list of products is relatively small (less than 1000 positions)
- if you only work with one or two manufacturers
- if the product line does not require data-rich descriptions
How to choose a PIM system
There are dozens of PIM solutions for every budget and taste. And it’s important to choose the one that is best for your particular demand. First of all, you have to compile a list of requirements for the solution which will take some research and then proceed to the selection. Here’s what you should consider before selecting the right software:
- Find out if the system is compatible with the platforms you sell on and gather data. If not, the system should have a feature to connect with your third-party services manually.
- The system has to be flexible enough to support business growth and unexpected repositioning.
- Consider selecting a PIM that supports multiple languages for localization. Even if there’s no need for that at the moment, you might still find it vital in the future. PIM system has to be easy-to-use and easy-to-learn not only to save your time but also to make sure your employees would be comfortable with it daily.
What challenges can you encounter while implementing a PIM system for your business?
Another obstacle while integrating PIM for retailers and manufacturers is the content delivery from the PIM system to an endpoint marketplace which is called content syndication. Some of the PIM solutions have a built-in syndicator, however, this is often not enough. Each marketplace and e-commerce platform has its own mapping rules which might go contrary to the settings of your solution. This problem can be solved either manually spending hours on making sure data will be consistent and uniform, or with the help of a dedicated syndication solution such as our Gepard content syndication platform.
How Gepard PIM Could Grow your Efficiency
Gepard PIM improves operations efficiency by 75%. Using Gepard Product Information Management software, you keep all rich product content in a single place, easily collaborate with colleagues, and connect new eCommerce channels quickly to drive your business growth.
Here are the main benefits of implementing Gepard PIM:
- Enormous amounts of data stores in one place.
- Smooth communication between the departments.
- Organized product catalogs and faster go-to-market.
- Less manual work and no delays in product launches.
- Lack of error-prone and data-validation tool before publishing.
- Multilingual interface and various locales support.
Here is a workflow of how Gepard PIM works:
- Centralize. Easily insert and store your content in a single system.
- Enrich. Set up simple workflows, add the rich media, create & collaborate on it with teams from other departments.
- Deliver. Distribute your rich product content to eCommerce platforms, marketplaces, and different online stores.
Moreover, Gepard has a content syndication tool, which integrates with the PIM solution and enables complying content delivery to any eCommerce store or marketplace. Each month 120+ million products are pushed automatically to various retail channels by Gepard eCommerce solution.
How could Gepard help with product content?
Gepard Syndicator automatically aggregates, transforms, and delivers product content to the client's endpoints in the required taxonomy. Moreover, it integrates with the PIM solution, providing the ability to set up semi-automated content delivery, if any manual corrections of data are needed.
Conclusion on PIM solution
Product Information Management system is an effective tool for e-commerce business development. However, as there are clear benefits, PIMs require serious attention to details and research before implementation. If you consider using it, try to define your business needs and calculate whether it’s going to be beneficial. When you are sure that you need PIM in your business just contact us for more details.